The Top Half (Part the Second)

My Sweet Chop went out of town for work on Sunday evening. So that gave me the time I needed to work on finishing up the China Hutch. Much detail to pay attention to. Two pots of paint constantly to hand because I kept spying missed spots. Those mirrors tell all! Just when you think you’ve gotten every crook and nanny 😉 ….

But to continue the “how-to” on this beauty, I had one of my interns (not the four-legged kind this time) – ok no intern just my Chop – help me out.

Firstly, here’s a little sneak peak at the reveal. The pre-reveal. Pre-reveal is the finished product sans China inside the hutch. That’s the final reveal and will take time to unpack all those boxes!

2015/01/img_2803.jpg

ooo…. ahhh…. woowwiee… so purty is my Grandmother’s coffee pot!

Ok so, we brought the hutch into the dining room and tipped it on its face. Remember, the lower mirror was out so we had to re-insert it.

2015/01/img_2784.jpg
(one of the few pieces I didn’t paint the back – it’s mine so I allowed it)

2015/01/img_2785.jpg
(the ginormous mirror – extracted from the back of the guest room closet – hanging out waiting in the hall)

I removed all the old staples from the back with needle-nose pliers then I held up the plywood backing while Chop hoisted the mirror and gently slid it into place. (no breathing was allowed during this process)

Then I handed him the itsy-bitsy nails and he hammered them in all around.

2015/01/img_2786.jpg
(Those nails were so tiny, I actually used aforementioned needle-nose pliers to hold them for the first few hammer blows – oh I’m so clever. Ha)

2015/01/img_2788.jpg

Once we felt there were sufficient nails in the backing to hold said mirror for the remainder of its life, we took a deep breath in and tipped it back up. Success! Then we hoiseted it into position at long last back on top of the lower chest part. My first reaction was, “WOW! I seriously don’t remember it being so tall!”

2015/01/img_2813.jpg

2015/01/img_2814.jpg

I was so happy when we plugged it in and the touch sensor for the lights still worked. 🙂 Now is when I started seeing all the little spots I missed. I really wanted a good brush for cutting into the small and tight spaces. My favourite Annie Sloan brush is my short brush with a beveled tip. But that brush wouldn’t get the fine line I needed for the back of the front of the bottom of the inside of the open area (got that?) So, I asked Sweet Chop to cut a handle off for me so I could work the brush without knocking into all the other edges of the cabinet. I showed him where I wanted it cut – he takes it to his surgery (garage) and TA DA! Seconds later I have a short handled brush (in the stores you pay MORE for the short handle – I don’t get that – less handle should be less cost, right?!)

2015/01/img_2812.jpg

These are my favourite cutting-in brushes. One is a Wooster brand and one is a Purdy brand. Both are great. They cost a bit more but they are worth the cost. (I really am going to do a segment on brushes one day!)

Moving along… Once I felt I had found all the sneaky unpainted spots, I put the door catch hardware back on and inserted the glass at the top. Ahh bliss! So close to finished! But the doors remain unpainted in the studio…

Stay tuned!!!

2015/01/img_2815.jpg

❤
Jill

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: